Ginger has a warm property, and here are its benefits according to Chinese medicine:
1. Treats mild or early stage of a cold due to being exposed to cold and induces perspiration.
To prevent catching a cold during cold or rainy weather, cook 15 to 20 slices for 10 minutes
in about two cups of water, with brown sugar at the end. Serve it while it is warm.
It is also applicable when being exposed to cold air after sweating,
2. Warms the lungs, resolves phlegm and stops cough; for cold lung with whitish thin phlegm.
3. Aids digestion, good for digestive health. It warms the stomach to strengthen the stomach, as well as, protects stomach lining. For stomach or abdominal pain, drink tea made from
ginger and cloves.
4. It alleviates nausea and vomiting.
Ginger is as well an alternative for the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting.
5. It eases motion sickness and morning sickness in pregnant women.
For morning sickness, rub the ginger juice just above the wrist palm-side.
6. Ginger eliminates toxins and treats seafood poisoning, with symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea.
7. For arthritis, rub fresh ginger on painful joints (not for inflamed red heat-type arthritis)
Caution: Avoid ginger if you have symptoms of hot flashes, night sweats, spontaneous sweats and high fever.